Pop-Starlet has 3 Reviews
Below are the reviews left by other members on Pop-Starlet. Jump to review form?
bluevenom gave it on 30th Jul 2011 and said:
Hiii :) this is my first review on here and I haven't wrote an actual review in about 3 or 4 years so forgive me if it's a little 'meh', haha :P
I like the layout - it's nice all the colours match and they're not blinding. The CSS matches the image nicely and there's a good sense of balance, well done. (: I notice in Internet Explorer though (i'm viewing it in Firefox atm) your header image disappears and the sidebar seems to go under the blog. I'm not sure if this is just me not having an up to date version of I.E; I don't update it as I don't really use it.
Coding & Validation
I'm not massively fluent or expert in HTML and coding so I'll only go through this briefly. You're missing a DOCTYPE - since you're using an iframe I believe the correct doctype to use is the frameset one. Georgina at heartdrops.org has some great tutorials for HTML validating if you'd like to get everything validated. :) You can also check if your site is valid using the W3C validator here: http://validator.w3.org. Like I said I'm not amazing with coding so I've only gone through this section very briefly. xD
I think your site is very informative and the content is great, there's plenty of it and it's always up to date whenever I visit. :) can't really say much more there :P
Overall you've got a great site! I do apologise if my review was a little amateur. I think checking through your coding and trying to validate it as best you can will help you a lot - I think this is what made it look very different when I viewed it in Internet Explorer. (That or my version is out of date; in which case I apologise.) Keep up the good work. :D
Using Firefox on Windows | Report This?
Xeronia gave it on 8th Jul 2011 and said:
You've got a good concept for a site, but there's a lot you can do to make it better.
Quick and easy things
1) Install Akismet, or any other WordPress plugin that removes spam. You've got spam comments on your posts, and spam comments are never okay. In fact, they probably lower your search engine ranking. Akismet is available as a WordPress plugin (search for it in the Plugins panel on the admin pages). You'll need to sign up for an account at WordPress.com, but I think that the extra account is well worth it.
2) Don't use a .co.nr frame and just use your actual url: pop-starlet.emnhosting.com. By using the domain frame, you're making it harder for people to link to your individual posts because they can't see the actual url when they're browsing your site.
Here's a screenshot of your site as I see it in Google Chrome: http://i.imgur.com/WHS37.jpg
Your site will probably look about the same in Mozilla Firefox, but some things might look a bit different in Internet Explorer 6-8. If you can make your site work in all the browsers, then great! Otherwise, don't bother. I'd give you suggestions on doing this, but I don't really know how myself.
It also looks like you attempted to turn the Cool Zone template into a WordPress theme. I'm going to write assuming that you aren't using widgets.
1) The images you use in your header are compressed a bit too much. From my computer screen, I see lumps and blurs from lossy image compression. I suggest that you remake all of your headers and save them in .png format. If saving it .png format makes the file size too big (I'd say that anything larger than 150 kB is too big), then use a program that lets you select .jpg file quality, like the freeware program, GIMP, and put it as high as you can go.
2) Make the navigation of the page on the bottom left pink, like the rest of the site. It's nice when a site has a completely consistent color scheme.
3) On your header image, the white doesn't look very good on top of the pink and black. Do you think that you can make it a sort of silver or a gray instead?
4) I can't see the text in your primary navigation (right below the header image) when I hover over it with my mouse. That's generally acceptable, but I generally prefer to be able to read all the text at all times.
5) The icon for each section in the sidebar is underneath the heading. I think that it'd look better if the icons were next to the heading. Since getting the CSS to work for that isn't easy, I'd actually recommend just not having icons at all. It'll make your sidebar and your pages shorter, which visitors like. Having a really small scrollbar on the right side of the page is really daunting for me sometimes.
6) Style the categories section of the sidebar like the rest of the sidebar. You can do this by adding "li.cat-item" next to all of the styles for ".sb_menu li".
7) You have both artist names and types of posts (like "Album Reviews") as categories. Your site would be much more organized if you made the artists tags instead of categories, since it doesn't look like your'e using tags and the moment and so that they could be listed separately. Your visitors would have an easier time finding content if artists were separated from the different types of posts that you have.
8) For the "Latest Albums" section of the sidebar, only one item in the list looks better than many items that say "none".
9) In your HTML source, you use the <center> tag. That tag was deprecated several years ago, and it's best not to use it.
10) Your affiliates section of your sidebar is taking up a lot of screen space. I would recommend styling them the same way you style the "latest music" and "latest videos" sections and not displaying their descriptions. If you're using the description field in WordPress's links manager, then using "show_description=false" in the PHP code will have the description be the title attribute in the links to the affiliates' sites.
As I said before, I really really like your site concept. I also like the way your site is organized. It's organized in a way that makes it easy for me to find things that I'm looking for.
The biggest problem with your content is your writing. Your writing is mostly grammatically incorrect, and difficult to read. You have a lot of spelling errors. For example, here's a paragraph from your About page copied directly over here:
"I am always frond of other sites, and love to make new friends. Affiliates are not ways of getting hits by ways of making friendsand admiring their qualities throught their website. Pop-Starlet has a range of amazing sites that are linked to us and we hope you get a chance to visit them. We are happy fo you to apply to become a affiliates, just click here. Please make sure you read the rules or you will not be accepted"
Before I try to improve it, let's read it out loud and see how it sounds. Kind of choppy, right? Notice the few spelling mistakes? (frond = fond, throught = throughout) Here's how I'd rewrite the paragraph:
"I am very fond of making friends and visiting their websites. Affiliating is not just a way to get more hits, it is also a way to make friends and admire their websites. Pop-Starlet has some amazing affiliates, and we hope that you will visit them. We'd love for you to be come affiliates with us, just click here to apply. Please make sure that you read the rules before applying, or we will not accept you.
It won't be easy to go through everything and rewriting it, but to me, it's worth the extra effort. You will get and keep more visitors with better writing.
Good luck! Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
Using Chrome on Windows | Report This?
scalivurpr gave it on 30th Jun 2011 and said:
The concept of the webpage is a good one, but have to work in the structure of it. First in my opinon have to work in the division of each of the anouncement that is making. Another thing is to put a clip if is posible to hear the song that is been talk about in the post. In my opinion the white background with grey letters is a little annoing on the eyes and is better to change the background color of the letters colors. Other thing I see is that the right column is after all the content and is not an attractive way to see the page. You make a long page but it don't have all in content and is a little frustrating to have to go all the way down to see the list of singer or articles you have, is better to aling that colums with the main text and after the title. A less inportant thing is the way the menu is organize I thing that the contact us is better at the end of the menu because is where people is use to look for it. It seem that the concept is based in the hip hop, R&B class of music, you should add more content in another class of music. Music for all tastes and ages. Also can include the top in the United States and a category for the upcoming. I notice that many of your images have some errors you may have to uploaded again, that error is not atractive and make it frustrating when you want to know of what artist you are talking about. The Meta is better in the begining of the colum because is more notice and should have a register also so people can go directly to it insted of the login and then register. You should divide the contact us from the rules so people can see the requirement in the top as the contact for also, again have to scroll a lot to get to a thing. Again the right colum is not working the it is. You should add your affiliates to the footer so make them more visible and can get the promotion they need when people enter the page, that way another people can affiliate and you may have also a better promotion and outcoming. This is just an opinion. Thanks to read it.
Using MSIE on Windows | Report This?
Thanks for the review, I don't see a problem with my sidebar on the images. Is it possible to send a screen shot of my site. Thanks !!
Write Your Own Review
Leave your feedback for Pop-Starlet below, and remember - the longer your review, the more points you receive. Don't forget to look at things like style/design, content, coding and originality as they will all help to improve the quality of your review.
You have to be logged in to write a review.